This Year, Resolve to Give Your Home the Attention It Deserves
It’s normal to focus on self-improvement like better fitness or healthy eating when January comes. But this year, resolve to give your home the attention it deserves, too. We predict home improvement will be on the rise in 2017 as homeowners focus on nurturing family, improving their environment and increasing their home’s value. Here are our top five ways to kick-off a Happy Home Improvement Year!
- Energy efficiency makeovers. It’s the year to take a hard look at your home’s energy efficiency. Small investments promise big savings not just this year but over the long term. Switch to LED lights, install low flow toilets and shower heads to lower water consumption, weatherstrip windows and doors to eliminate costly heat loss and consider switching to Energy Star appliances. Learn about Home Energy Audits.
- Landscape. Landscaping creates a pleasant environment for you and your family, boosts curb appeal, and can increase the value of your home by up to 20%. Start with a new tree or bush for an instant yard upgrade. Then, enlist an expert to provide an estimate on a new walkway or sitting or mediation area. You’ll find plenty of inspiration and yardscaping ideas at the 2017 Maine Flower Show this March to get your started.
- Save for the big jobs. Does the prospect of a new roof has you preoccupied? Concerned an old water heater could burst at an inopportune time? In 2017, resolve to budget for large home expenses so you can fix them on your own time instead of waiting for an untimely disaster.
- Get a (kitchen) facelift. Your kitchen is your home’s centerpiece, and it can add considerable value to your property. Resolve to have yours reflect the way you live this year, from a design update and new cabinets and countertops to updated, energy-saving appliances.
- Focus on maintenance. Show your home you care – resolve to focus on around-the-house maintenance that seems to end up at the bottom of the to-do list. DIY projects like installing new tile or adding a coat of fresh paint can make a world of difference in your living space in the coming year. Projects like replacing rain gutters, or repaving or regrading driveways are simple projects that make a big impact.
Get a Home Improvement Plan for 2017. Ask us about what we can do to help.